Saturday, November 10

responsibilities of the utmost kind

today, i am going on a tippity top secret thrifty jolly mission. i have dingle dangled my top secret thrifty jolly mission like a little carrot, in front of me, all week long. 'tis done the trick, and this morning i awoke with a spring in my step and a little light shining brightly where i polished my aura at yoga therapy yesterday. i note the sun is shining, its brass monkeys outside, but that is 'a-okay' for i have a drawer full of winter thrifted and handmade scarves and mittens waiting to be worn. 


i have not had a drawer of such like before, more a scattering of 'here and there' scarves and mittens, but recently i was taken with the need to collect all my woolies in one place. once, a long while ago, many moons, but not so many that it was another decade, i stayed at my soul sister's house in old blighty and i noted upon leaving for a jolly trip one day, she opened a drawer of her nicely painted sideboard, by the front door and an array of beautiful coloured scarves and gloves shone from within. i marvelled at this drawer, i marvelled at how lovely it was to keep all your pretty accessories for winter in one place and most of all i marvelled at how terribly grown up it must feel to have such a drawer. i wondered to myself would there ever be a time when i was grown up enough to have such a drawer of delights.

this past week, whilst wandering and wondering around lost, i chanced upon the image in my cogs of 'the drawer of grown-up-ness' again. i pondered my moves in this direction, wondering if i was ready for such responsibility. i thought, well yes its all very well having such a drawer in existence but with it comes an obligation. an obligation to ones woolies and whatnots, to maintain a routine of returning their loveliness each and everytime to whence they belonged.

the chosen set of drawers, once was an old pine dressing table gifted to me on my 13th birthday. a little while back i chopped off the top half, replaced the handles, painted it glossy white and wallpapered the top. over 30 years on from that birthday, this little fellow is going strong with his new found responsibilities of the utmost kind

i continued the pondering of the enormity of the responsibility to my woollies whilst having my one afternoon cuppa and one afternoon cookie (free of anything remotely allergy inducing but full of cardboard it would seem) and decided after a pep talk, i could indeed own such a drawer and indeed, even more so, take on the responsibility of it. after all, 'twas not so long ago i was responsible for children and critters galore and despite the dwindling numbers within our shed and my head, i still rise every day and meet my responsibilities. in fact, it would no doubt do me good to have an added responsibility of such a nature. no food or watering required, just a nice comfy place to be kept safe and returned to, after jolly thrifty outtings and numerous grocery store visits, which seems to be the norm for now.

used dog coming to inspect the proceeding half way through, before more scarves and mittens were added from various hiding places around the shed

so there we have it, today as i dress for a chill in the air and a skip in my heart and pottle off up the hill, through the valley and over yonder to thrifty heaven i will don a thrifted woolie little number from my grown-up drawer of delights... quite possibly the green twirly whirly one and upon my return, (with high hopes of thrifty jolly mission accomplished so christmas will be sorted in one fell swoop) i will place my 'woolie lovely', back safely in the little set of drawers dragged down the stairs with our #3 (who was on a pit stop between classes on weds and kindly lent a hand) and marvel at how far i have come, how very terribly grown up i am now aged 44 and a little bit, with a drawer of responsibility and think to myself, actually its not half as bad or scary as i thought it would be, being a little grown up for a change.


Tif